Saturday, January 24, 2009


I rented a car at the airport for one week and the rate was about $20 USD per day. Driving is safe and the roads around Muscat are well-maintained and modern. There are many roundabouts instead of intersections; this setup seems to work well.
The food was delicious. Rice, bread, fruit juices, chicken, lamb, fish and seafood. I did not go hungry.
Muscat has, in my opinion, lots to offer. The souks are as good as the ones in Cairo and Dubai, the character of the people is honest and friendly, and there is always something else to do or see that makes you glad to be there.
My visit coincided with the playing of the Arabian Gulf Cup, a soccer tournament featuring the national teams from every country around the region, including the host country Oman. Oman ended up winning the cup in a stunning upset match against Saudi Arabia. It was apparently Oman's first cup championship title in 40 years. I felt fortunate to be there when it happened.

No comments: